Saliva: In Relation to COVID-19
434Views & Citations
COVID-19, as it designated by WHO, is an infection outbreak which constituted a real disaster worldwide. From December 2019 to April 2020, the number of affected individuals is more than the million victims. This a short review aimed to gather information in the form of answering important questions in the context of Saliva in relation to COVID-19 which is caused by SARS-CoV2, as an emergent infection with limited information about. These questions are: is saliva just an environment to facilitate the viral transmission? How the saliva gets infected with corona virus? What is the actual role of the ACE2 receptors express in the oral cavity in the context of the pathogenesis of COVID-19 disease? What is the life span of the virus in saliva? And what is the role of antiviral components of saliva in combating of the coronavirus?
More than one point is discussed in this review for saliva in relation to the COVID-19 virus, although not all the answers for the abovementioned questions are totally conclusive, just we aimed to reflect the light on these points to emphasize that saliva can be a promising tool in both diagnostic and follow up for COVID-19 virus, as a convenient as well as a practical tool. Many researches would be anticipated for putting clear answers for the mentioned questions.
Keywords: COVID-19, Saliva, Diagnosis, Viral transmission
- Journal of Psychiatry and Psychology Research (ISSN:2640-6136)
- International Journal of Medical and Clinical Imaging (ISSN:2573-1084)
- International Journal of Radiography Imaging & Radiation Therapy (ISSN:2642-0392)
- Journal of Blood Transfusions and Diseases (ISSN:2641-4023)
- Journal of Nursing and Occupational Health
- Journal of Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis Research (ISSN: 2643-0541)
- International Journal of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics (ISSN: 2689-7687)